Thursday, January 15, 2009

Death Of A Travel Mug

I picked up my lovely peppermint striped travel mug at a Starbucks in Dubai, UAE back on my first deployment in 2003. It was in the sale bin because of the Christmas motif but I loved it! If you are going to be on a Navy warship for any period of time you MUST have your own coffee mug. Since I was a lowly ensign and not worthy of a special mug emblazoned with my own nickname and the ship's crest - I had to make do with a Starbucks special. Not that I'm bitter or anything...


In the past six years I've put that mug through the paces. Between ships the mug would keep me company on my morning commutes. I love how the handle is up high enough to clear the cup holder walls. I love how the shape of the mug curves ever so slightly in the middle to accommodate your hand. I love how the lid could be spun on in just the right way to enable me to drink from the mug with one hand while driving with the other. We had a great working relationship.


Though I love my mug dearly, I admit to kicking around the idea of upgrading to a nice new one. After all, the peppermint striped lining had begun to slip down and the Starbucks logo had practically been worn off by repeated use.


But I just couldn't bear to part with it! That is, until this happened:


Yeah, that was kind of the clincher. One can only do so much with a gimpy broken travel mug. So, I started shopping around for a new one. I went back to Starbucks to see if they had any in the same style that I love so dearly. Nope. They only had handle-less mugs! What's up with that? Finally, I found a nice little Aladdin travel mug at Wal-Mart. Yes, Wal-Mart and I only paid $5.88 for it.


Oooo, shiny! After taking these pictures I put my old travel mug in the trash. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to throw away. I know it's only a little travel mug but it has been a fixture in my life for six years. I'll always remember it as my Navy Mug.

Here's a gratuitous shot of my lovely Mr. Coffee and the two mugs. It's almost like a family portrait, no? Oh, and in case you forgot...

Here's another gratuitous shot! Six days and counting!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh. I like shiny!

Elle Charlie said...

I can totally see how it would be hard to throw out your old travel mug - I get attached to things I use daily like that!

MommyTime said...

OH, I know how important a good travel mug can be. And the shiny one is so pretty and Jetsons like! That must count for something.

May stripey rest in peace.

Unknown said...

There I was, running from post to post out here on the Internet and all of a sudden it was like, "Ooooo, there's something shiny" and it just pulled me right in. New coffee mug: Sharp. Old coffee mug: Funeral Fodder.

Kristi said...

Peppy was good while he lasted. Glad you have your new shiny man to help you grieve... ;)

Madame Queen said...

You sound like my husband! He is a travel mug connoisseur. He does not like the one I just bought at Wal Mart and refuses to drink from it.

Sassy Pants said...

RIP dear peppermint coffee mug. Isn't it weird how we get attached to inanimate stuff? I have a hard time throwing toothbrushes away.