Sunday, February 3, 2008

Muffin Swap and Guilt Suppression

On Thursday Muffin's dad decided he wanted to see her this weekend. Having decided that I'd rather try and form an animosity-free relationship with him, I agreed to let her go. I don't have a problem with her going to her dad's house - I just have a problem with getting the request a day before. Especially when it involves over three hours of driving, round trip, and that's not including the wait time because Muffin's Daddy is always ALWAYS late.

Well, the Muffin swap was par for the course. He was over an hour late and I ended up having to drive further than the agreed upon meeting point to meet him. All this because I don't want Muffin to have to be up any later than necessary due to his incompetence. Hmmm, bitter much? Well yeah - I am. I think that being late (over and hour) is one of the most basic ways to show disrespect. And I'm not sure if that's his point or if he's just completely incompetent. Could go either way.

At any rate, this left me at loose ends this weekend. (I'm not a Super Bowl fan so that's not on the agenda.) I asked a couple of girl friends from work if they would like to hang out and we ended up seeing 27 Dresses and going to dinner. It was great. The movie, the dinner (Ruth's Chris Steak House!) the time away from home. I enjoyed myself. And then I felt guilty. Shouldn't I be pining for my daughter? Shouldn't I take this time to do some cleaning and/or organizing while Muffin is not around to distract me?

But, thankfully, I got over it. I’m sure I’ll always feel some guilt for having a good time while my DD is away, but I’m determined not to let it get out of hand. It’s alright to take advantage of a weekend to myself to actually enjoy myself. Right? It must be. It’s definitely in Muffin’s best interest for her mom to be happy and well adjusted. Yes, yes I think I’m convincing myself that I shouldn’t feel guilt.

Well, on that note – I think I will actually do some type of cleaning or organizing today. Maybe I’ll get over to the storage shed and make room for more crap. If I’m going to put this house on the market in a year I have got to cut down on the crap.

Happy Sunday and I hope whoever you’re rooting for in the Super Bowl wins!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I always feel guilty when I leave Jakob with my folks for an overnight. At least for the first 20 minutes or so...but then it wears off! ;)