Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Fun Monday - The Tuesday/Late Edition

"What have you done in your life that was worth doing? I want to know the moments in your life that you hope will be the ones to pass through your mind when your time comes. ... I want to know all the moments, big and small, that make life sweet!"

This question was posted on Planet of Janet yesterday as part of Fun Monday (which I didn't know existed! Mondays need more fun - that's for sure).

Even though I'm a day a late and several dollars short I'm going to answer this question. There are three things in my life that were totally worth doing.
A. Finish my bachelors degree. It took me nine years and I had to go part-time so that I could work three jobs in order to pay for it but it was totally worth it. The advantage of going to college for NINE YEARS is that you get to meet all sorts of people. They are my best friends - I'll always cherish them AND that stupid piece of paper.

B. OCS. Deciding to join the Navy after college was one of those random things. I knew I wanted to do something important and at the time, the job market was bleak. Fortunately for me, the Navy needed Officers so off to OCS in Pensacola I flew. Holy F*ck, that was the absolute worst time of my life. Thirteen weeks of pure hell. I learned a lot about myself and my capabilities during that time and since then the Navy has taught me a lot about leadership and responsibility. Most of the lessons sucked ass, but I suppose they "built character." At any rate, I'm not afraid to try something anymore because I've failed at more things than I could ever have dreamed of. And, I'm still here!
C. Muffin. Sweet, sweet little girl. She was not planned, but she's the best thing that ever happened to me. If OCS and the Navy taught me how to handle external adversity - Muffin conquered all of my internal demons. I've never been able to make a relationship work and I know now that it was due to my own insecurities. For some reason, I never felt worthy of love - I think it's a girl thing. Anyway, my daughter's love is unconditional and so strong that it hurts. Having her in my life has brought about many changes, but they were all for the best. I'm a strong mama bear that fights for her cub, I don't back down, and my insecurities are not so important anymore.

So, there it is. My three things. I could list many fun, cool things I've done - but none of them have changed my life more than these three. I think it's because I made the choice to commit. And that decision, whether right or wrong, shaped my character. I hope that getting my Masters and transitioning into the civilian world will end up being the forth big thing that was worth doing. However, since I can't see into the future I guess I'll just have to play it out and see what happens!

How about you - What have you done in your life that was worth doing?

Visit these sites for some really great answers to that question!

Planet of Janet

Tales of a Southern Doll

Jo Beaufoix

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

Jo Beaufoix said...

These were fab. Getting my degree was a big thing, but to stick at it for 9 years, wow, that was a real achievement. And your little girl is gorgeous. Thanks so much for the linky love. Hope you play next week. :D