Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chivalry Is Dead

Yes, stick a fork in it because chivalry is done. Last night I pulled into my parking space a little before my neighbor and proceeded to pile my arms high with school accessories, artwork, a heavy jacket, my purse and lunch box while Muffin managed her pony toy and book bag. As I was struggling to keep everything from falling to the ground my neighbor pulled in and parked his shiny new Acura. He got out, looked at Muffin and I as we were making our way to the door. Then, he bounced up the steps, opened the door, went inside and shut the door in our faces.

I was stunned – it’s not that I expected any assistance but to shut the damn door as we were reaching the top step? Muffin and I went inside and down to our front door without any problems but I could not stop thinking about that asshole. I mean, I usually go out of my way to keep a door open – especially for old people, moms with strollers, kids and pretty much anyone who has their hands full. This guy looked right at us, got in front of us and then slammed the door on us! Who does that?

He may or may not find that his shiny new Acura has a nice big scratch down the side today. Just saying…

12 comments:

hokgardner said...

i think it's more that this guy is just a jackass.

Bev said...

What a JERK! That is unbelievably rude. >:-<

Unknown said...

I would go to the nearest Spencer's (or the equivalent in your area) and buy a rubber penis and duct tape it to his hood. In an upright position. Just so he notices. Because if you lay it flat, he might think that's normal and miss the symbolism.

Unknown said...

yeah, what an asshole.

my lovely (young and married, dammit) neighbor came over one day last week and snowplowed my driveway...so not all in the world is lost.

Elliott said...

I'm with hok, because I'd hold the door. Hell, I might even offer to help carry something.

Unless I was barely containing an explosive bout of diarrhea. Did he look like he was clenching?

Lin said...

What a butt face! I hate when people are just plain rude like that. I dont think all chivalry dead though, my husband & brothers always go out of their to keep the door open or help ppl in need.

BTW, I think you should go with LceeL idea.

Anonymous said...

I so hate people like that!!!! I mean what does it take to think about someone else for five seconds. I love the penis idea though! Remember those bumper stickers that said Mean People Suck, you should find one and put it on his car for him.
BTW my word verification word is manic. Isn't that bizarre? What happened to the jumbled letters. Now I have to spend the rest of the day wondering if that is some sort of a sign. Dammit!

Mala said...

In situations like this you have to believe that karma will find this guy.

...let's hope he didn't make it to the toilet.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, how unbelievably rude (as I think someone might have already said). I would have offered to help carry something, let alone hold the door open. Berk.

I hope karma finds him (and his stupid car) soon. Failing that, I love LceeL's idea!

MommyTime said...

It never ceases to amaze me how oblivious people are about holding doors for others. On the other hand, when I was in NYC with two small kids this past summer, I never ONCE got on the subway that someone didn't get up and offer me a seat so that the little one could be on my lap rather than knocked around on the jerky ride. So, I think chivalri isn't necessarily dead; it just died in your neighbor long ago. I'm sorry for that.

Mary said...

does wayne brady have to choke a bitch to get them to hold the door?
say that next time, 'k?

GoteeMan said...

I've found most people don't even realize how they come off... don't let it bring you down...

or tie him up and light his pubes on fire... either way, you'll feel better and be able to move on...

;=)
J (goteeman)