Tuesday, June 17, 2008

DC Part Deux

My second day in DC began not unlike the first. Groggy from restless sleep, rushing to get into dratted panty-hose and gulping down lukewarm tea. Class was uneventful and lunch was rather unmemorable. I daydreamed about sight-seeing as we covered grievances and case scenarios. Finally it was time to leave. However, I had to make a bargain with myself. Check-in with the office, do at least three homework problems - and only then could I run amok in the city.

Once those chores were complete I put on my walking shoes and grabbed my bag, determined to enjoy the afternoon. Matter Of Fact Mommy wasn't lying - the weather here was absolutely perfect this afternoon. I had to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the sights. The city energy is so intoxicating! I'm sure the natives were laughing at my goofy grin.

Since I'm staying in a hotel close to Union Station I decided to make my way down to the Mall on foot. It wasn't too far of a walk, mostly downhill. Once I reached Grant's Memorial I'd passed no less than 10 joggers. Upon my subsequent journey from the Capitol to the Washington Monument I became convinced that this city is teeming with wild herds of health nuts. I saw people jogging, playing kick-ball, performing martial arts, playing frisbee, tossing footballs, catching baseballs and several walkers wearing shirts that read "Walk From Obesity."

In addition there were tourists, musicians and picnics. It was like watching a scene from a movie - except that there were no directors and the actors were perfectly real. I detoured into the Hirshhorn Museum Sculpture Garden and pondered sculpture while listening to birds and buses. It was very relaxing.

After an hour and a half of wandering one side of the Mall I discovered a Navy Memorial on my map and decided to check it out. There was a musical event going on so I decided not to linger, but I did take pictures of the images that pertained to my career. Then, I went in search of dinner.

Wandering the streets on the way to my hotel I checked out several restaurants with menus posted outdoors. Nothing looked good to me until I heard some jazz music coming from the District Chop House. When I was seated I noticed that there was a "Velvet Tap" on their beer list. Apparently, it's mixed with Nitrogen instead of CO2 - which creates a very smooth finish. Well, I had to give it a try! (Along with the Gorgonzola Filet Medallions)

I think I was attracted to the Chop House because of the energy (seem to be using that word a lot lately). It seemed busy and cozy at the same time. I was alone, but I was able to have company without conversation. Almost the best of both worlds. Almost.

I took the Metro from China Town back to Union Station. It's different at night, but not threatening. I think I'm getting used to it now. Tomorrow will be the real test - I'm going to switch lines! Whooooo - breaking out of the box! For now, I'm going to snuggle in my bed and think about Muffin. I hope she's having a good time. I hope she's wearing sun screen! (Sun Scream!) Miss you baby!

6 comments:

Manager Mom said...

DC is such a cool city. I can't wait to take the family there for a visit... sorry you are missing your little. I just had a 6 day trip and missed mine like CRAZY.

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

ahh, sun scream! ;) i'm sure lil muffin is doing well...

i loved reading this story. forces me to remember just what made me fall in love with the city when i moved here 13 yrs ago. while i live in the 'burbs now, i did live in the city for a few years when i first moved here.

once memorial day passes, there is always something going on - tour buses, tourists, tours. oh, and don't let the "joggers" fool you. they're fair weather joggers. they only come out of the woodwork when it is below 85 degrees. ;)

ENJOY!

Madame Queen said...

Punkin says sunscream, too!

so what was the beer like? Was it good? You are starving me to death with the descriptions of your meals! :)

Ok, Where Was I? said...

I love reading bloggers' trips. The real test--switching lines. LOL!

Although now I"m concerned. There's not another post here and so maybe that little experiment didn't go so well.

calicobebop said...

@ Madam Queen - Yes, the beer was very good! I could have easily had more! Smooth and velvety - just like advertised.

@ OK Where Was I - LOL, Yes - I made it! In one try too!

Unknown said...

OOOHHH IT SOUNDS AWESOME! I am glad you are enjoying your time!