Monday, June 29, 2009

Working Weekend

On Saturday I got up bright and early to go get a Uhaul van and load up the stuff that the packers/movers left behind - as well as the cats and their cat-habitat. Loading the van took a little longer than I anticipated but it was mostly due to insecurity over my packing procedure. I felt certain something would be destroyed in the process, but everything turned out ok when I got to my friend's house in Suffolk. I started thinking that maybe a husband would be handy for this type of thing.

So I unloaded all the stuff, set up the cats in their cat-habitat again and set off to return the van. Did I mention that I hated driving that van? It was WAY too responsive on the road and I felt like every twitch of my fingers would send me careening in to a neighboring vehicle. Whew - not fun for a 45 minute drive. Each way.

When I returned to the old house I had to touch-up the paint, clean the floors and get together all of the items for my "bulky trash" pick-up. I gave myself about two hours and it ended up being more like three hours. All the while I was thinking: Yep, a husband would have been pretty darn handy. Curse my single status! By the time I made it back to my friend's house I was POOPED! I poured myself a couple of drinks, watched a few mysteries and went to bed.

Sunday morning I got up early, once again, to mow the yard. It was out of control. I don't know how grass can grow that high with no rain. Seriously! Her yard is huge and it took me nearly two hours to complete the task. I'm going to have to devise some sort of mowing plan and divide that space up! OR - find some unsuspecting fellow to mow it for me. Hmmm... Afterwards I cooled off in the A/C and watched Along Came A Spider on Showtime (my friend has Showtime! Sweet!).

Next, I set to work on organizing and putting away all the crap I had loaded into her living room from the Uhaul van. This involved way too many trips upstairs for my taste. By the end I was sweaty all over again and a little put out. How have I accumulated all this crap! And why don't I have some man to do all this work for me! I rested a few minutes then took a shower and got ready to pick up Muffin.

I never really told Muffin about the changes that would be happening - just kept things vague and pumped up the YMCA swimming pool aspect. She seemed to take things in stride and I'm grateful. We had Burger King for dinner, watched Nature on PBS and went to bed.

This morning we got up at 5am (like certain other bloggers out there) and made the long commute back to Norfolk so I could get the damn TB test read at medical. Then I had the pleasure of checking out with the Chief of Staff. The man talked more about himself than anything else. Every sentence started with "I" and it felt like an infomercial. Whatever. I smiled, nodded and left.

At 12:30 I went to another household goods brief and then over to Personnel Support to turn in my Separation paperwork. I'm almost done with my second-to-last day. I've done WAY more in the last three days than I usually do in three weeks! I'm really looking forward to the long weekend. I'm going to sleep in, go to the pool, cook some hotdogs and chill out. Can't wait to hear about everyone else's 4th of July plans!! Ice cream? Fireworks? Drunken spectacles?

Oh - and can anyone tell me what happened to MOFM? You can email me if you don't want to post a comment. I miss her!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need and deserve a break woman. You have been working far too hard for one person. Get the hotdogs on and get your feet up! And good luck.

Samsmama said...

When you mentioned mowing the lawn I thought for sure you'd bring up the whole "husband" thing again. I for one cannot STAND yard work.

Glad you rewarded yourself with a few drinks. You certainly earned them.

Diane J. said...

I just stumbled across while be-bopping through blogland.

Love the blog. Sounds like you're beginning a new chapter in life and who knows, maybe that guy will be appearing soon. Thanks for the chuckles.

Bev said...

First off, I love your new banner picture! ADORABLE!

Secondly, I am exhausted just reading all that you accomplished. Moving AND mowing the lawn? Eeek. I. Am. Lazy.

Third, have a happy 4th!!!!!

Mary said...

man do you need a break! that's just wayyy too much and i just hate moving...all the packing, unpacking, sorting, ug!
Oh and MoFm is on vacation for a week :)

PorkStar said...

wow man, you are a very busy lady. : )

Unknown said...

As a man, please allow me to say that men are good for more than you mention - back rubs, for example, after you've come in from mowing the yard, foot massages after carrying all that stuff upstairs, washing your hair after you get all hot and sweaty doing housework. And that's just for starters.

Laura Marchant said...

Wow you need a break! That is a lot. I am tired just reading it all.

Missie said...

I love the new header!
Hang in there and enjoy the 4th. What a fitting weekend to be done.

ATenorio said...

Wow, you've moved. I've been gone too long. I love your new header too :)

Husbands can be as much of a pain in the ass as they can be helpful. Like by using 16 different drinking glasses in one day and leaving wet towels on the bed... MY side of the bed of course. I vote for a boyfriend instead ;)