Matter Of Fact Mommy tagged me with a meme last week and it's taken me this long to complete it! The idea is to share 10 things that people may not already know about, but I've had a hard time. I mean, I already confessed that I'm a lazy, self-absorbed neurotic - I can barely think of anything else worth knowing, but I shall try. Here goes:
1. I took Monday off of work to re-arrange the furniture in my house and clean. Since my sister married and moved out last week we've been living in a mess. So, Monday I called in to say that I was helping my sister move (which was the original plan until my parents moved up the schedule two days) and spent the rest of the day cleaning and re-arranging furniture. I am having vague feeling of guilt over this which is why I decided to share it. Validate me!! :)
2. I'm a classically trained musician. I took 17 years of piano lessons as well as 13 years of violin lessons and have actually played at Carnegie Hall. (I just love saying that, but rarely get the occasion to) I originally went to college to study music in the hopes of becoming a music teacher. However, all music all the time made me not like it much anymore so I switched majors and eventually earned my degree in Economics.
3. I am a voracious reader. I read about two books a week - and that's not including school books! I'm lucky that my little sister works in a book shop. Between her and the library I'm well supplied with reading material. I'll read pretty much anything except horror.
4. Speaking of horror... I can't stand it. The first and last horror movie I saw was the Exorcist at age 16. I made my little sister sleep with me for WEEKS afterwards (I'm not proud, I can admit it) because I was so freaked out. I can barely watch thriller movies either - the anxiety levels are not fun for me. I nearly walked out of Dark Knight because it was too tense. In other words, I am a big fat pussy.
5. As a complete juxtaposition I can confess to liking a certain amount of romantic literature. Not necessarily all out Romance Fiction, mind you - but I admit to an affection for novels with some "sexy bits" included. Hey! I'm a single gal who hasn't done the deed in FIVE YEARS! Sue me!
6. I am, in all seriousness, the worst dancer on the planet. I can do a mean '80s punk thrash-about, but that's only if I'm completely alone. Get me around other people and I am living proof that white people have no rhythm except when drunk. Which is completely surprising considering my musical background. I think I have a case of hopeless self-consciousness.
7. My favorite bands in high school were The Cure, Depeche Mode and The Smiths. That ought to speak volumes about my state of mind in those days. I still love listening to punk, post-punk and new-wave music. Color me a girl-child of the 80's.
8. I have had major fights with all of my family members as well as my best friends. BIG fights that lead to people not talking to each other for a long time. In fact, this time last year I got in a very large fight with one of my closest friends and we still haven't patched things up all the way. I read her blog but I'm afraid to comment because I don't want her to read mine. I am a silly, high strung woman.
9. Even though I'm almost finished with graduate school, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I recognize the fact that I require constant stimulation because I get bored very quickly. I also recognize the fact that I am a mother before I am anything else. Most of the jobs that interest me - including my current profession - require me to compromise my duties as mom and primary care-giver and that is not a compromise I am willing to make.
10. Finally, I love my life. I know I complain and fuss, but that doesn't mean I'm discontent. There are things I'd like to improve and I'm working on it. I have never been able to do things in a "conventional" manner and I think that I'm ok with that. After much reflection I have determined that my past has made me who I am today. I wouldn't change a thing.
Ok, I know I'm supposed to tag others but I think that all the people I read have already been tagged or have already completed this meme! If I'm mistaken - please please consider doing it. Even though it took me a while to complete, it was fun!